Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Bible Land Museum

I had another "history" day today at the Bible Land Museum. It has much more to do with ancient cultures than the Bible -- in fact, like many modern institutions, they don't necessarily believe the first several chapters of the Bible.

But it was interesting nevertheless to see many of the types of objects that I taught about in the God's Awesome Book seminar and that I learnt about during my one-week stint as an archaeologist's labourer. Many seals (for making your personal stamp in the wax on the string securing a scroll) and engravings and inscriptions, etc.

I did spend some money in the shop though. I bought some DVDs about Israeli history and culture to use for our translator training program in Sinuda (and I'm sure the family will enjoy watching them as well).

Tonight is my last night here -- I leave Israel late tomorrow evening -- all good things come to an end. Actually, I'm looking forward to getting back now. Even in the museum today, I was envious of some of the parents there with their young children -- there's not really anyone I can hug around here. I'm looking forward to lots of hugs in Sinuda!

I sent a prayer update from here today, and noticed after I had sent it, that I got the day of the week mixed up. Apart from losing track of the days because I don't have to "go to work" etc., it's also confusing when the busy work week starts on Sunday morning. Sunday is definitely the first day of the work week here, and not part of the weekend.

I just looked on the Internet and there's no departure tax from the Tel Aviv airport. Nice!


I didn't get any interesting photos today. But here's one from last week of a "sea level camel". I was on the bus on the main road coming up from the Dead Sea towards Jerusalem. You probably have to zoom in a bit to see the details. Note the barren terrain.

No comments: