Thursday, July 5, 2007

Back in Jerusalem

I spent yesterday morning in the pit, my final time on the archaeological dig. It was a wonderful week -- I really enjoyed it and I learnt so much -- but even so, I don't think I want to be an archaeologist. It takes a lot of hard work to achieve a little (even if you do use volunteer slaves).

After lunch, it was a quick shower and then buses back to Jerusalem. The first bus went the short trip from the Ginosaur Kibbutz to the city of Tiberias, also on the edge of the Sea of Galilee. Then another bus from there to Jerusalem. It started off not too full, but then filled up very quickly. The military use the public bus system for moving their personnel around the country, so there were a lot of young soldiers on the bus, most of them standing in the aisle.

There was one incident where I wished I knew a bit more Hebrew. One young guy in uniform sat a girl on his knee and the two of them spent the whole two-hour trip flirting. Near the end of the trip, a mother with three young kids sitting opposite them, said something to the girl. This lady had a headscarf so she was most likely a Muslim. Anyway, that started a yelling match across the aisle but unfortunately I couldn't understand what they were saying. Eventually another woman sitting behind me came and calmed things down. (She had also calmed down some other little dispute with a passenger and the driver earlier, so I don't know if she was someone official or what.) Yes, people here are not embarrassed to tell you what they think of you -- almost the complete opposite of the Philippine culture where people often tell you what they think you would like to hear!

I was also surprised at the traffic going into Jerusalem late Thursday afternoon. When I asked about it, they told me that many workers have Friday and Saturday off as their weekend, so many people come into Jerusalem on Thursday afternoon.

I caught another bus from the Jerusalem Central Bus Station to where I'm living, although I had to ask the driver to tell me where to get off because I wasn't completely sure of the area yet. But it's much cheaper taking the bus than a taxi where they refuse to use their meters (just like Manila). By the way, I found an interesting article about transportation in Jerusalem.

So now I'm back here with a family until I leave on Wednesday. I'll focus on my Hebrew language learning for these last few days. I haven't got as far with it as I had hoped, because the study tour and then the dig have been much more intense than I expected with little spare time for language learning or opportunity to practice brief conversations with locals. I'll go the the fruit juice stall again this afternoon to try a brief chat, and also work at home to see if I can get through another page or two of my children's book.

No comments: